Thursday, March 13, 2014

CS50 Appliance - Error "Could not mount the media/drive '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)" when trying to install VirtualBox Guest Additions

I am currently going through CS50x course delivered by David J. Malan from Harvard University. However when trying to install custom VM Appliance given by CS50 course staff which is custom built for students taking CS50 course, I stumbled across a few issues one of them is:

Could not mount the media/drive '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)"

when trying to install VirtualBox Guest Additions

Click on image to enlarge

And this is what worked for me:

First, ensure all VMs are turned off, then click on Settings > Storage and remove the CD / DVD device under the heading Controller: IDE and then add it back (see screenshot below)

Click on image to enlarge
Once I added back the CD / DVD device, and then started the Appliance, selected Install Guest Additions... from Device menu, I was successfully able to install Guest Additions on my appliance.

I hope this helps you guys. If there is anything else that worked for you, please do post it in comments below so that others can benefit from it.

1 comment:

Please comment here!

Google+